The term eight delights or eight treasures (ba bao) in Chinese cuisine refers to the number of specifically selected ingredients in a dish. This does not literally have to be eight in number.
This traditional Chinese congee is a rice porridge that resembles rice pudding, but is made without milk. All of the ingredients used not only taste extremely good, but, according to Chinese medicine, they are also very beneficial to our health.
The red date, also called Jujube, is used in TCM for various forms of weakness. It should also relieve physical symptoms of stress and stabilize the intestinal environment.
Longan Fruits tonify the heart and spleen, nourish the blood and soothe the mind.
Azuki beans release moisture and toxins and tonify blood and Yin.
Millet moistens. It nourishes and warms dark colors.
Sesame seeds nourish and strengthen the liver and kidneys. They moisturize the intestines and free up bowel movement.
- 1/2 cup Azuki beans
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 1 cup of millet
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup red dates
- 1/3 cup dried longan fruits
- 1/3 cup lotus seeds
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Soak the Azuki beans in water overnight.
- Add all ingredients to the AND SOY blender. Fill up with water until the 1,3L mark. Select program 3 and start.
- It is best left standing for an extra hour after the end of the program. The congee becomes particularly soft and creamy.